September 21 –
Remote demonstration by Lyle Jamieson. Lyle is in Traverse City, MI and will be doing a remote demonstration on hollowing.
Lyle will concentrate on the skills needed to turn hollow forms. Items covered will include, roughing, chucking methods, design considerations, boring bar uses, laser measuring techniques, vibration issues, preventing catches, torn out grain problems, reverse chucking and more. Lyle’s demo can take on a lot of subjects depending on the participation of the viewers. His focus will be on the process not the finished product. The topics covered will be important for the beginning turner and challenge the advanced turner. Its all about the fun, turning is no longer hard work. Lyle’s goal is to open up possibilities and expand creativity.
Pictures from AAW by Dave Madden – AAW 2019 Symposium
August meeting – Thank you to all demonstrators! It was a fun mini-symposium and swap meet! Next swap meet in March!
Coming in November – Jason Clark
Photo Directory – check out those that are online!
- Remember to get your picture taken for the photo directory. Can’t remember someone’s last name or their name at all? The Members Only section includes a photo directory.
- Get your picture taken at an upcoming meeting – so you can be included!
- Aug 23-25 – Southwest Area Woodturners – SWAT, Waco, TX
- September 5-7, Women in Turning Exchange, Gatlinburg, TN
- September 21 – Remote Demo
- October 4- 27 – AZ State Fair Demonstrating
- October 19 – Ed Pabst – Threading
- November 16 – Jason Clark – all day demo & Hands-on classes to follow
- December 14 – Holiday Party
- Check out the 2019 President Challenges on the Meetings page
- To earn money for the club use the Fry’s Community Rewards Program: visit the Frys website at: https://www.frysfood.com/account/communityrewards. Once logged into your Fry’s account, go to community rewards, click “all”, search for Arizona Woodtuners Association either by name or VD448 and then click Enroll. New users will need to create an account which requires some basic information, a valid email address and a rewards card.
- Sign up for AMAZON SMILE – Amazon gives a percentage to the club when you sign up on Amazon Smile and designate the Arizona Woodturners Association in your account.
- Women in Turning – Women in Turning (WIT) is the newest committee of the AAW, bringing together women worldwide who share a passion for woodturning. WIT is dedicated to encouraging and assisting women in their pursuit of turning, to sharing ideas and processes to further members’ skills and creativity, and to increasing participation of women in the field of woodturning. Check out their events – including their September exchange in Gatlinburg, TN.
- The American Association of Woodturners – 33rd Annual International Symposium – Raleigh, North Carolina – July 11-14, 2019